Friday, January 23, 2009

Let's skip ahead


Not Good v. Evil.....but I wanted to share a poem I came across. It is from the legendary Chinese sage Lao Tzu from his book "Book of Tao"

"Before the heavens and Earth existed
there was something nebulous,
Silent, infinite, unfathomable,
Without beginning or end,
Standing alone, changing not,
Ever present and revolving eternally,
The source of the ten-thousand things...

I do not know its name
And call it
Tao;
If a name must be given,
I shall call it the Ultimate...

The Way of heaven achieves all without striving;
Answers all without speaking;
Accomplishes all without deliberate design;
The net of heaven is broad, with wide meshes,
Yet nothing slips through...

He who walks in harmony with the eternal Way
Shall be the master of existence;
Knowing the ancient beginning
Is the essence of enlightenment.
This is the mystic unity of the Way..."

I don't get too much into poems. My brain doesn't work well with abstract thought. Give me a formula and I can solve anything, but let me be creative and the simplest tasks can be very laborous. That's why I dropped out of Architecture and became a drafter. When I came across this particular poem in the "Burnhams Celestial Guidebook", I was blown away by how well I understood the meanings, and how simple but beautiful the desription of the Milky Way. My friends know how important astronomy is in my life, so I am sure I will write plenty more entries regarding the heavens above. After all, we are all stardust........

2 comments: